What to do with the kids without breaking the bank!
Everybody loves to have fun on March Break, but what can you do if your budget simply doesn’t allow for a trip to someplace sunny and warm? How about a “staycation”? There are so many cool things to do that cost little or nothing. Here are some ideas to get you started:
1. Visit your local library. Many are running free events/ plays/ and most are interactive and educational (shhhhh…don’t tell the kids)
2. Check out your museums! In Peterborough, our Canadian Canoe Museum has free Thursday nights 5-8pm.
3. Swim at your local pool or skate at the arena. Many are offering extra times to accommodate March Break families looking for something to do
4. Get a group of friends together and try bowling!
5. Check out your local shopping mall. I have heard of many that are hosting free events!
6. Hike at a conservation area, followed by a hot chocolate at a local cafe. Many conservation areas waive their entrance fees in the off-season.
7. Exchange kids with another parent. I love the idea of switching kids for half a day. Set up some crafts or games and snacks and invite some of your kids’ friends over and suggest that the other parent do the same on another day. It keeps the kids busy and gives you and the other parent your own March “break”!
8. Volunteer at the food bank or at another event or cause close to your heart
9. Visit a Senior family member or neighbour with some homemade cookies or treats for a tea party
10. Take advantage of the chance to sleep in the next morning and go for a “night” walk. Your kids will be amazed at how different your neighbourhood looks at night. You may even see some stars!
Still looking for ideas? 8. Check out our “What’s On” section at: www.localparent.ca
Have a happy and budget-friendly March Break!