These cake style doughnuts have a soft fluffy texture and a deliciously moist crumb.
- 2 2/3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- Seeds of 1 vanilla bean
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- Softened butter, for tins
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 small pinch salt
- 2 - 3 Tbsp milk
- Food coloring and sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Butter 14 holes of three doughnut tins and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt for 30 seconds, set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, using an electric hand mixer, blend together melted butter, vegetable oil, sugar and vanilla bean seeds until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Blend in eggs one at a time then mix in vanilla extract.
- Working in three separate batches, beginning and ending with flour mixture, add 1/3 of the flour mixture alternating with half of the milk and mix just until combined after each addition.
- Spoon batter into buttered doughnut wells, filling them about 1/4-inch from the rim.
- Bake in preheated oven 7 - 8 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into doughnut comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool until lukewarm then dip in glaze and return to wire rack, immediately top with sprinkles if using and allow glaze to set at room temperature.
- In a flat bottomed bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, melted butter, vanilla and salt then stir in 2 Tbsp of milk, adding additional milk 1 tsp at a time to reach desired consistency and whisk until smooth.
- Tint with food coloring if desired. Warm in microwave in 6 - 10 second intervals on HIGH power to warm as it begins to set while dipping doughnuts, as needed, whisking after heating.
For step-by-step instructions for this recipe and more, visit Cooking Classy.