This simple biscuit recipe can be thrown together in about 5 minutes.
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup cold, unsalted butter cut into small cubes
- 1 1/2 cups (about 6 ounces) grated cheddar cheese
- 3 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Place rack in the centre of the oven and preheat to 450 F. Butter or line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt together in a medium mixing bowl. Cut in the butter using your fingertips or a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in the cheese and scallions. Add the buttermilk and stir just until combined.
- Drop mixture by the tablespoon onto prepared baking sheet, keeping portions equal. Bake until golden brown, 18-20 minutes.
- Makes about 12 biscuits.