These delicious banana muffins are particularly fall-like with the addition of cinnamon, nutmeg and clove.
- 4 small ripe bananas, smashed
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup muscovado sugar (light brown sugar would be fine)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 1 cup of flour
- 1/2 cup of cornmeal
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces plus more for sprinkling on top
- Preheat the oven to 350F. With a wooden spoon, mix butter into the mashed bananas in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix in the sugar, egg, vanilla and bourbon, then the spices, baking soda and salt. Add the flour and cornmeal last, mix gently but do not overmix.
- Add 1/2 cup walnut pieces and fold in gently.
- Spoon into a lined muffin tray. Sprinkle walnut pieces on top of each muffin.
- Bake for 20 minutes, allow to cool five minutes in tray before moving to a rack to cool.
For step-by-step instructions for this recipe and more, visit Pithy and Cleaver.