The combination of apples and maple are the perfect addition to these moist oatmeal muffins. They’re great for breakfast on the run.
- 1 1/4 cups (310 ml) quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) milk
- 2 cups (500 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) maple syrup
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) butter, melted
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 2 cups (500 ml) apples, peeled or not and finely diced
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C). Lightly butter nonstick muffin pans or line with paper liners.
- In bowl, combine oats and milk; let stand for 5 min.
- In separate large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk sugar, maple syrup, egg, butter and vanilla extract into milk mixture.
- Pour over dry ingredients and sprinkle with apples. Stir just until moistened.
- Spoon into prepared muffin pan. Bake for about 25 min or until tops are firm to the touch. Let cool in pan for 10 min. Transfer to rack.
- Topping: Brush warm muffin tops with maple syrup. Let cool completely.
For step-by-step instructions for this recipe and more, visit Dairy Farmers of Canada