Muffins with a richer flavour that balance the nutrients of bran, wheat germ, and dates with the kid-friendly orange flavour.
- 2 cups natural bran
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/3 cup melted butter or canola oil
- 1/3 cup molasses
- In a large bowl, combine bran, flour, dates, pecans, wheat germ, zest, soda, and salt.
- Whisk together buttermilk, butter and molasses in a separate bowl.
- Pour buttermilk mixture over dry ingredients and stir together just until moistened.
- Spoon into large greased or paper-lined muffin cups, filling to the top.
- Bake in 400 F oven for 20-25 minutes or until tops are firm to the touch. Makes 12 muffins.