These chocolate-flavoured, vanilla-scented cupcakes look stunning with their deep red colour.
- 1½ cups gluten-free self-rising flour
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp gluten-free cream of tartar
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- ? cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp natural red food colouring
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 4oz (115g) full-fat cream cheese
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2¾ cup confectioner’s sugar, sifted
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C). Combine the flour, xanthan, cocoa, and cream of tartar in a bowl.
- In another large bowl, beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating between additions. Add half the flour mixture, colouring, vanilla, vinegar, and half the buttermilk. Whisk well. Add the remaining flour and buttermilk. Whisk again for 30 seconds. Divide the mixture between the paper liners so they are two-thirds full. Bake for 40–45 minutes or until the centers spring back when touched in the middle. Cool for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack.
- For the frosting, beat the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla in a large bowl using an electric mixer. Gradually add the confectioner’s sugar, a little at a time, until it is all incorporated. Beat for 30 seconds until very light and fluffy.
- Carefully slice and crumble a thin disk from the top of three cupcakes to make crumbs for the topping. Spoon the frosting into a piping bag and pipe it in swirls on top of the cakes. Scatter over the cupcake crumbs to finish.
SPECIAL EQUIPMENT : Deep 12-hole muffin pan lined with paper liners and piping bag equipped with a ¾in (2cm) star nozzle
Excerpted from The Gluten Free Cookbook – copyright 2015 Dorling Kindersley Inc.