A little goes a long way with these mighty squares bursting with lemony goodness.
- 1 1/2 cup salted soda crackers, crushed
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
- finely chopped zest from two lemons
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 large eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Combine crushed crackers, flour, sugar, coconut, baking powder and zest. Cut in butter until mixture resembles small peas. Put 1 cup of this mixture aside. Press remaining mixture evenly in a 9 x 9 pan lined with foil.
- Bake 15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, whisk eggs and egg yolks together in a bowl. Add sugar and whisk again. Place bowl over a pot of simmering water and stir continuously. Add lemon juice and butter and continue stirring until mixture thickens.
- Immediately pour onto base in pan and top with reserved crumbs. Bake for 20 minutes. Cool completely and cut into squares. Makes 36 squares