Stir dried cherries into your favourite hot cereal. Even an on-the-go packet of instant oatmeal gets a big nutritional (and taste) boost from a handful of cherries.
- 2 cups low fat milk (1% for nutrition analysis)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2/3 cup mixed dried berries and cherries (red tart cherries, blueberries and strawberries)
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup low fat milk (1% for nutrition analysis)
- 4 tsp chopped toasted pecans or walnuts (optional)*
- Bring 2 cups milk and the salt to boil in a medium saucepan.
- Stir in dried oats; then stir in dried berries and cherries and cinnamon.
- Reduce heat.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- To serve, spoon oatmeal into bowls. Pour 2 tablespoon (30mL) milk over each serving. Sprinkle with brown sugar and, if desired, nuts.
*To toast nuts: Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C). Spread nuts in a single layer in a baking pan. Bake about 8 minutes or until lightly toasted. Cool nuts before chopping.
For step-by-step instructions for this recipe and more, visit Ontario Tender Fruit.