With a bit of planning and organization you can eat delicious, hearty meals, even in the woods! These breakfast flatbreads are made using store-bought pizza dough and are simply cooked on a grill over a fire.
- 1 lb (500 g) store-bought whole wheat pizza dough
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 pkg (200g each) fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 2 cups (500 mL) baby spinach leaves
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 5 eggs
- Salt and pepper
- In saucepan, heat oil and garlic over medium heat, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes. Strain and let cool. Discard garlic. (Make-ahead: Cover and keep for up to 4 days)
- On a lightly floured surface, divide dough into 5 equal portions.
- Shape each portion of dough into approximately 1/2 inch (1.5 cm) thick 7 inch (18 cm) disks. Put disks on a lightly oiled rimmed baking sheet. Dust top with flour and, top with sheet of oiled parchment paper. (Make-ahead: cover up to 2 hours).
- Slide dough rounds on an outdoor grill. Cook each disk, one at a time, about 30 seconds or until grill marks appear on bottom of rounds, turn and grill on other side, about 1 minute. Transfer to clean work surface.
- Brush the top of each flatbread with garlic oil. Top with mozzarella slices, spinach and tomatoes. Crack 1egg into center of each flatbread.
- Season flatbread with salt and pepper. Cover grill with greased aluminum foil and slide flatbread back onto grill and cook tented with tinfoil until cheese is melted and egg is set, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 2 minutes before cutting.
- Continue process until all Breakfast Flatbreads are finished.
- Variations: You can mix and match the flatbread topping based on what your kids like. Sweet red pepper, thinly sliced black forest ham, shredded cheddar cheese, mushrooms or salami can all be substituted for the above ingredients, just don't forget the eggs; the star of the Breakfast Flatbread!
Kid tip: These campfire gems can be made in your own back yard, using a barbeque or portable grill. Set up a tent and make it a backyard adventure for you and the kids.
Huevos Rancheros Breakfast Flatbread: Spread 1 cup (250 mL) homemade or store-bought chili over cooked pizza dough rounds. Sprinkle each round with shredded cheddar cheese; top each with egg and follow with cooking method above.
Zucchini, Bacon and Jack Cheese Breakfast Flatbread: Cut 2 small zucchinis into circles. Brush 1/2 cup (125 mL) extra-virgin olive oil over tops of cooked pizza dough rounds. Top each round with zucchini circles, crumble 1 cup (250 mL) cooked crisp bacon over tops of flatbreads. Sprinkle each round with shredded Jack cheese, top each with egg and continue with cooking method above.
Corn, Feta Cheese and Ham Breakfast Flatbread: Spread the garlic oil from the main recipe over cooked pizza dough rounds. Sprinkle 2 cups (500 mL) fresh corn kernels over rounds. Dice 6 oz of black forest ham and sprinkle over all rounds. Top each round with crumbled feta cheese and an egg. Continue with cooking method above.
For step-by-step instructions for this recipe and more, visit Egg Farmers of Ontario.