Buckwheat flour imparts a delicious nutty flavour to these pancakes, and it’s gluten free!
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup rice flour, white or brown
- 2 tbsp cornmeal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Raspberry Sauce
- 2 cups fresh or frozen raspberries
- 3-4 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Combine the yolks, milk and yogurt in a medium sized bowl and mix until smooth. In a large bowl, sift together the buckwheat flour, rice flour and the cornmeal, baking powder, salt and sugar. Add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients and stir just until combined.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and gently fold them into the batter.
- Heat frying pan over medium heat with a little butter or cooking spray. Pour 1/4 cup portions of batter onto pan and cook until edges of pancake are set and there are a few bubbles on top. Flip pancake and cook until top springs back when touched lightly. Makes 4-6 servings.
- Puree 1 cup of the raspberries with 3 tbsp of the sugar and all of the lemon juice until smooth. Place the second cup of raspberries in a bowl and pour the pureed berries over top. Stir to combine and add the 4th tbsp of sugar if needed. Serve chilled or at room temp. Makes 1 cup of sauce.