Make your own beautiful breakfast parfaits in the evening and you’ve got a nutritious and delicious breakfast ready to go in the morning.
- 1 cup ( 250 mL ) large-flake rolled oats
- 1/4 cup ( 50 mL ) chopped almonds, pecans or
- 1 tbsp ( 15 mL ) ground flax seeds (optional)
- 3 cups ( 750 mL ) 2% plain yogurt
- 3 tbsp ( 45 mL ) granulated or packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp ( 5 mL ) vanilla extract
- 2 cups ( 500 mL ) blueberries, sliced strawberries and/or raspberries
- In a skillet over medium heat, toast large-flake rolled oats and nuts (if using), stirring constantly, for 2 to 3 min or until golden and fragrant. Immediately transfer to a bowl and let cool. Stir in flax seeds (if using).
- In a bowl, whisk together yogurt, sugar and vanilla.
- Alternately layer oat mixture, yogurt and berries in four individual 1-1/2-cup (375 mL) reusable containers with lids or tall glasses. Seal with lids or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or up to 2 days.
You can use fresh berries or frozen berries. If using frozen, do not let thaw before assembling the parfaits. They may tint the yogurt purple and red but will still be delicious. You can use four 175 g containers of yogurt or one 750 g container
For step-by-step instructions for this recipe and more, visit Dairy Farmers of Canada.