Inspired by traditional Mexican cooking, it’s the perfect dish for a weekend brunch.
- 2 tbsp ( 30 mL ) butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1/2 green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 4 plum tomatoes, sliced
- 1 tsp ( 5 mL ) chili powder
- 2 1/2 cups ( 625 mL ) low sodium tomato sauce
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 6 eggs
- 4 oz ( 130 g ) brick cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 450 °F (230 °C).
- In a large oven-safe skillet, melt butter on medium heat and sauté onion, garlic and white kidney beans for 5 minutes.
- Add bell peppers, tomatoes and chili powder, and cook another 5 minutes. Pour tomato sauce into skillet and bring to a boil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Crack eggs one at a time and add to tomato sauce. Top with Brick cheese and brown in the oven.
Serving suggestion: Garnish with fresh coriander (cilantro) and serve with toasted bread. Cheese alternatives: Mild Cheddar, Monterey Jack.
For step-by-step instructions for this recipe and more, visit Dairy Farmers of Canada.