The gooey caramel, crunchy granola, and rich flavour of the roasted fruits make this trifle a winner with kids and adults.
- 3 large apples, peeled, cored, cut into small cubes
- 3 pears, peeled, cored, cut into small cubes
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp butter
- caramel sauce (recipe below)
- 1 cup 35% cream
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups granola
- 2 plastic pastry bags
- apple chips (for decoration)
- Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup 35% cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 400F. In a large bowl, toss apples & pears in lemon juice.
- On a baking sheet in the oven, melt butter and leave until golden. Pour onto fruit mix and stir.
- Spread fruit in single layer on baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes, turning fruit over once.
- When fruit is soft, remove sheet from oven and let cool.
- Place all ingredients in a saucepan and cook over medium low heat for about 7 minutes, whisking constantly until mixture thickens. (If it gets too thick to pour, add more cream). Cool.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together the cream, sugar and vanilla until the cream forms soft peaks.
- To Assemble:
- Fill one pastry bag with whipped cream and the other with caramel.
- Pipe whipped cream into bottom of each glass, then layer with granola, then fruit, then caramel. Repeat until glass is nearly full, ending with whipped cream.
- Top each glass with an apple chip.