This dessert is made up of light, lemony dumplings topped with stewed blueberries.
- 6 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 4 tbsp butter, cold, small cubes
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/3 – 2/3 cup cold milk
- Combine berries, water, and sugar in heavy bottomed pot with a tight fitting lid. Bring to a boil, then immediately lower heat to simmer.
- Make dumplings by combining flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, & lemon zest. Cut cold butter into flour mixture until it begins to resemble small peas. Gently fold in 1/3 cup cold milk. Continue adding milk as needed until dough is wet and sticky.
- Remove lid from pot and scoop large spoonfuls of dough onto the stewed blueberries. Use all the dough. Cover with lid and simmer on low for 15 minutes. Do not open lid!
- Place one dumpling in each dessert bowl, and ladle blueberry sauce over it. Top with a healthy dollop of thick cream. Makes 6 servings.