Dense rich chocolate cheese is the base for a refreshingly tasty strawberry layer. Each bite complements each other and makes for a perfect make ahead dessert for family and friends.
- 8 oz (250 g) 70% cocoa bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) water
- 1 8 oz (250 g) brick cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups (500 mL) 35% whipping cream, divided
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla
- 3 cups (750 mL) frozen strawberries, thawed
- 1 envelope (7 g) unflavoured gelatin
- Chocolate shavings
- Place chocolate in a medium heat-proof bowl. In a small saucepan, bring 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the sugar and water to boil. Boil for 1 minute or until sugar is dissolved. Pour over chocolate and let stand for 1 minute. Whisk together until chocolate is smooth; set aside.
- In a bowl, using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese, 1 cup (250 mL) of the whipping cream and vanilla until fluffy. Add chocolate and beat until smooth and combined. Spoon into dessert dishes and refrigerate.
- In blender or food processor, puree strawberries and remaining sugar until smooth; transfer to large bowl. In a microwave-safe measuring cup, whisk gelatine into 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the whipping cream. Microwave on High (100%) power for 45 seconds or until dissolved. Stir into strawberry puree and add remaining whipping cream. With an electric mixer, beat until slightly thickened and spoon on top of chocolate cheese layer. Cover loosely and refrigerate until set, for about 2 hours or for up to 2 days.
- Garnish with chocolate shavings to serve.
- Serves 12
For step-by-step instructions for this recipe and more, visit Dairy Farmers of Canada.