A very yummy, very traditional, version to tempt your family’s taste buds. Be sure to make the custard a day ahead.
- 2 pkgs large lady fingers
- 1/2 cup wildberry jam
- 3 cups fresh berries – strawberries, blueberries, raspberries
- 4 cups custard (see recipe below)
- 1 cup 35% cream
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 2 cups 35% cream
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup milk
- 6 egg yolks
- Make custard: Combine milk, cream, sugar and vanilla in a saucepan and cook over medium heat until mixture approaches a simmer.
- In a cup, combine cornstarch and 1/4 cup milk. In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yokes, while slowly drizzling in the cream mixture.
- Return combined egg/cream mixture to saucepan and add cornstarch.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring continuously until it thickens.
- Cool in fridge overnight.
- Make whipped cream. Using an electric mixer, beat together the cream, sugar and vanilla until the cream forms soft peaks.
- Assemble: Cover the flat side of each lady finger with jam. Place one layer of lady fingers on bottom of trifle bowl, jam side up. Top with layer of fresh fruit, then a layer of custard.
- Repeat, ending with custard. Decorate with whipped cream and fresh strawberries.