This is without a doubt my favourite summer pie. It brings back memories of me and mom picking strawberries together in the cool morning, then rushing home to put this pie together in time for supper.
- 1 (9 inch) store bought pie crust
- 6 cups strawberries, hulled
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar or icing sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line the crust with parchment paper or aluminum foil and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake at 350 degrees until light brown, about 10 -15 minutes. When surface is dry, remove the paper or foil and pie weights and continue to cook until crust is golden and completely baked through; another 15-20 minutes. Cool completely.
- Mash enough strawberries to measure 1 cup. Mix granulated sugar and cornstarch in a heavy saucepan and stir in strawberries. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Cook and stir for 1 minute, then remove from heat, stir in vanilla, and cool.
- Beat cream cheese with powdered sugar, lemon juice, and lemon rind until smooth and spread in cooled pie crust.
- Slice remaining strawberries and arrange over pie. Pour cooked and cooled strawberry mixture over the whole strawberries and chill for 3-4 hours or until set. Refrigerate any remaining pie.