Serve this golden pumpkin pie topped with whipped cream or a combination of Greek yogurt and whipped cream flavoured with a dash of brown sugar and vanilla. Dust with ground cinnamon.
- 1 can (14 oz [398 mL]) pumpkin puree
- 1 cup (250 mL) packed dark brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups (310 mL) 2% evaporated milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- Pinch ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- On a lightly floured surface, roll pie crust dough into a circle slightly larger than a 9-inch (23 cm) pie plate. Gently fold in half and lift into pie plate. Pinch over-hanging pastry to form an edge. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk pumpkin puree, brown sugar, evaporated milk, eggs, cinnamon, ginger, salt, nutmeg, and cloves. Pour into prepared pie crust.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F (180°C) and continue baking for 45 minutes or until a knife or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Place on a wire rack to cool.
- Makes one 9-inch (23 cm) pie (8 servings).
Recipe and photography courtesy of GoBarley: Modern Recipes for an Ancient Grain.