A classic traditionally served with a dollop of rich and delicious home-made vanilla custard.
- 6 cup chopped rhubarb
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water or orange juice
- 2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Place all ingredients into a stainless steel saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer approximately 15 minutes until the rhubarb has broken down to threads.
- Remove from heat, cool, and place in a storage container.
- Keep in fridge until ready to use.
- Separate the eggs and place the yolks in a large bowl.
- In a saucepan, bring the milk and sugar almost to a boil. Whisk the hot milk mixture into the yolks, a little at a time, until all the milk has been added to the yolks. (Note: You need to do this slowly so the yolks don't cook)
- Pour egg mixture into saucepan, and cook mixture over medium low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat, and pour through a fine sieve (or through a rough sieve or colander lined with cheesecloth) into a 2-quart bowl. Whisk in the vanilla extract.
- Place a piece of plastic wrap over the custard to prevent a skin from forming and cool completely in the fridge.
Tip: Whites can be used for omelets or frozen for later use in other recipes.