Your guests will be asking for seconds of this delicious and easy must-have side dish.
- 1 loaf fresh Egg Bread (crust on), cut into cubes or ground into crumbs
- 2 cups (500 mL) Carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 2 cups (500 mL) Celery, finely diced
- 2 cups (500 mL) yellow Onion, quartered or finely diced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) unsalted Butter
- 1 lb (454 g) loose Canadian Turkey Sausage meat or Turkey Sausages, casing removed
- 2 Tbsp (25 mL) ground Sage
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) dry Thyme
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Salt
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Pepper
- In a large stock pot, sauté onion, carrot and celery in butter until soft. Add sausage meat, gently breaking it up into small pieces.
- Add thyme, pepper, and half of each of the salt and sage and combine. Cover and cook on medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
- Place egg bread cubes or crumbs in a large mixing bowl. Pour vegetable and sausage mixture over, add the rest of the sage and salt. Mix until combined and set aside to cool before stuffing turkey.
- To bake separately from the turkey, place in a lightly greased 9 x 12” (23 x 30 cm) casserole dish, cover and bake in a 350F (175C) for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake for 10 minutes or until crisp on top.
- If roasting in the turkey, place stuffing loosely in turkey’s cavities just before turkey is placed in a preheated oven. When roasting, any stuffing placed in the cavity of the turkey should reach an internal temperature of at least 165F (74C).
Tips- This recipe will make enough dressing to stuff a 25 lb (11.3 kg) turkey or it can be baked in a 9 x 12” (23 x 30 cm) casserole dish.
For step-by-step instructions for this recipe and more, visit Turkey Farmers of Canada.