With little effort this rice dish provides all four food groups and wonderful flavours. It is pleasantly mild but you can increase the Cajun seasoning if you like more spice.
- 1 cup (250 mL) long-grain white rice
- 4 oz (125 g) lean smoked turkey sausages, sliced or 1 cup (250 mL) diced lean smoked ham
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) water
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Cajun seasoning
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) milk
- 1 each, small sweet green and red pepper, chopped
- 1 19 oz (540 mL) can stewed tomatoes, drained and chopped if large
- Salt, to taste
- Fresh Italian parsley
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add rice, sausage, celery and onion; cook, stirring, for 2 min. Add water. Whisk flour and Cajun seasoning into milk; gradually stir into skillet. Bring just to a simmer, stirring often. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer gently for 15 to 20 min or until rice is almost tender.
- Gently stir in green and red peppers; cover and simmer for 5 min longer or until rice is tender and peppers are tender-crisp. Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle tomatoes over rice mixture; cover and let stand for 5 min. Stir gently to combine and season with salt to taste. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
For step-by-step instructions for this recipe and more, visit Dairy Farmers of Canada.