Nothing beats this tender, mouth-watering grilled fish, infused with the aromas of dill and fennel. Try making this with pickerel too.
- 1/2 red onion, peeled, quartered
- 4 trout fillets of equal size
- juice from 1 lime
- 3 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 1/2 head fennel, shaved
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- vegetable oil
- Preheat grill to medium high heat. Grill red onion until lightly charred and slightly cooked. Slice thinly.
- Squeeze lime juice onto inside of fish fillets, season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with dill. On two of the fillets, place fennel in a layer along the length of the fish, then repeat with red onion. Place remaining fillets, flesh side down, on top of the dressed fillets. Tie with string and brush outside of fish generously with olive oil.
- Dip paper towel into vegetable oil and use tongs to oil the hot grill surface.
- Place fish on grill and lower lid. Cook 6-8 minutes or until the bottom side of the fish starts to become translucent. Carefully flip the fish with a metal spatula.
- Cook for an additional 6-8 minutes. Remove from grill and serve immediately with lemon and lime wedges. Serves 3-4