All of the flavors of this simple marinade blend so perfectly together and compliment the chicken amazingly well.
- 1.5 - 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast halves or chicken thighs
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp lime zest
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp packed light-brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder or 1 clove finely minced garlic
- 1/8 - 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- If chicken isn't an even thickness then place chicken in a large ziploc bag and seal bag. Using the flat side of a meat mallet, pound chicken to an even thickness. Place chicken in a non-reactive (clay, enamel, glass, plastic, or stainless steel) dish in a single layer.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together remaining ingredients. Reserve 2 Tbsp of the mixture in a non-reactive, airtight container in the refrigerator. Pour remaining mixture over the chicken, cover dish and allow to marinate 8 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Preheat grill to medium high heat. Once preheated, brush grill lightly with olive oil. Place chicken on grill and cook (with lid closed) 5-8 minutes per side until juices run clear (cook time depends on the thickness of the chicken, internal temp should register to 160 when done), baste each side of chicken with reserved marinade during the last minute of cooking. For juicier chicken, plate chicken, cover with foil and allow to rest 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
- Serves 4
For step-by-step instructions for this recipe and more, visit Cooking Classy.