Enjoy this quiche-like “pie” fresh out of the oven or warmed up the next day. It’s delicious made with asparagus in the spring or mushrooms throughout the rest of the year.
- 2 cups (500 mL) diced ham
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded Swiss or Cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) chopped green onion
- 2 cups (500 mL) diced asparagus (about 12 spears)
- 3 cups (750 mL) milk
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) baking mix (e.g. Bisquick)
- 7 eggs, lightly whisked
- Lightly grease or spray a 13 x 9-inch (33 x 23 cm) baking dish. Layer ham, cheese, green onion and asparagus in dish.
- Whisk milk into baking mix a little at a time so mixture doesn’t get lumpy. Whisk in eggs just until blended. Pour mixture carefully over ingredients in baking dish.
- Bake in a preheated 400°F (200°C) oven until puffed and golden brown, and a knife inserted in centre comes out clean, 35 to 45 minutes.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
Sliced mushrooms can be substituted for the asparagus; 1 can (5.5 oz/156 g) of flaked ham can be substituted for the diced ham. Leftovers can be reheated in the microwave.
Recipe and photo courtesy Egg Farmers Ontario