This pie is easy to put together and tastes delicious.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, 1” cube
- salt and pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup leeks (quarter leeks and thinly slice)
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp ground rosemary
- 1/2 tsp homestyle or Dijon mustard
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 head broccoli, divided into small florets
- 1 pkg puff pastry (2 sheets)
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in saucepan on medium and place chicken in pan. Brown all sides but don’t cook through. Remove from pan.
- Add mushrooms to pan and sauté for 3 minutes. Add garlic and leeks and continue to sauté for another 2-3 minutes until vegetables are softened. Remove from pan.
- Drop heat to medium low. Melt 3 tbsp of butter in pan and stir in 3 tbsp of flour. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently. Slowly add chicken stock and milk, stirring after each addition until sauce begins to thicken. Stir in mustard, rosemary and bay leaves, and return mushrooms, leeks and garlic to pan. Simmer on low, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf. Add chicken, broccoli florets and cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Pour mixture into shallow casserole or pie plate.
- Cover with a sheet (or two) of puff pastry. Brush with egg yolk. Place in oven for 45 minutes or until pastry is puffed and golden.
- Serve with rice, quinoa, or salad.