This recipe is sweet enough to turn even reluctant kids and adults into beet lovers.
- 10 medium beets, washed & unpeeled
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 head garlic
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp aged balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Wrap beets and rosemary in foil and seal well. Do the same with the garlic, cutting off the head first. Place both parcels on a baking dish and bake for 45 minutes or until cooked through (beets will be easily pierced to the centre with a knife, garlic will be soft).
- Remove beets and garlic from oven, open parcels, and let cool for several minutes.
- To make the vinaigrette, squeeze four cloves of garlic out of their skins onto a cutting board and, using the side of a knife, mash to a paste. Place the garlic into a small mixing bowl (refrigerate the leftover cloves – they will keep 1 1/2 - 2 weeks.) Add the olive oil, aged balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper and whisk to combine.
- When the beets are just cool enough to handle, pull off skin, remove stems, and cut ?into bite sized pieces. Place in bowl with the vinaigrette, toss and serve while warm. Serves 4-6.