Fry these ahead and crisp them in a hot oven just before serving. Look for spring roll wrappers in Asian markets.
- ½oz (15g) dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked in boiling water for 20 mins
- 1 small carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 3 scallions, cut into matchsticks
- 3oz (85g) green cabbage, shredded
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ¾in (2cm) piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 tbsp tamari (gluten-free soy sauce)
- 1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
- ½ tsp Chinese 5 spice powder
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2oz (60g) bean sprouts
- 20 spring roll wrappers
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- ? cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 red or jalapeño chiles, chopped
- Drain and finely chop the mushrooms and mix together with the next five ingredients. In a small liquid measuring cup, mix the tamari, wine, and spice powder. Heat the oil in a frying pan or wok, add the vegetable mix, mushrooms, and bean sprouts, and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the tamari mix and simmer for 30 seconds. Remove from the heat and ?leave to cool.
- For the dipping sauce, place the ingredients in a medium pan with ¼ cup of water, boil, then simmer for 5 minutes. Remove and leave to cool.
- Dip a wrapper in a bowl of warm water for 10–15 seconds or until soft. Lay it on a damp kitchen towel and blot until slightly sticky. Place a heaped tablespoon of filling in the center. Fold the bottom of the wrapper up over the filling, fold in the sides, rolling up the wrapper tightly. Soak a second wrapper, wrap it around the first layer, and set aside. Repeat until the filling is used up. Heat the oil in a deep-fat fryer or large pan until it reaches 350°F (180°C). Do not leave the fryer or pan unattended, switch off when not using, and keep a fire blanket nearby in case of fire. Cook the spring rolls in the hot oil, two at a time, for 3–4 minutes or until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Keep warm while you fry the remainder. Serve the rolls hot with the chile dipping sauce.
Excerpted from The Gluten Free Cookbook – copyright 2015 Dorling Kindersley Inc.