Flaky pastry stuffed with a savoury mixture of feta, spinach and spices.
- 16 sheets phyllo pastry, defrosted in fridge
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 10 oz fresh spinach
- 2 tsp unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 2/3 cup feta cheese, finely crumbled and well-drained
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- pinch of nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Wash spinach and remove stems. Pat dry. In large skillet on medium heat, melt 2 tsp of butter. Add onions and saute until soft. Add garlic, and saute for 1 minute. Raise heat slightly, add spinach, and toss. Season with salt and pepper. Cook spinach until wilted, then cool.
- Squeeze spinach mixture to remove liquid, and chop finely. Combine spinach, feta, ricotta, oregano and nutmeg in bowl.
- Cover phyllo with a slightly dampened towel. Place one sheet on work surface, with longer side top to bottom. Brush the left half of sheet with melted butter, then fold right half over left. Brush with butter again.
- Cut phyllo lengthwise into three strips. Place 1 tsp of spinach mixture ½” from bottom of first strip. Take bottom edge of strip, fold it sideways over filling, until bottom edge aligns with side edge to form triangle. Keep folding over and up to the top of strip.
- Brush completed triangle with butter and place on a parchment-lined tray. Repeat with other two strips.
- Continue with remaining phyllo and mixture. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden. Makes approximately 48.