This is such a great trick. A moist, crispy chicken cooked in record time with more flavour than the kids can lick off their fingers!
- 1 can soda water
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground sage
- 1/4 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 4 lb whole chicken, giblets removed
- salt and pepper to taste
- large tinfoil pie plate
- Preheat your grill on high, then drop to medium on the sides and low in the middle (maintain temperature at 400-425F).
- Open can of soda water. Drop garlic and thyme into can, then place can upright on pie plate.
- Combine olive oil, sage & poultry seasoning and rub over chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Lower the chicken onto the open can so that the chicken is sitting upright, leg end down, with the can in its cavity.
- Place chicken in middle of the BBQ grill and close the lid. Baste with drippings and rotate the bird every 15 minutes until crispy golden brown with an internal temperature of 185F (leg and breast). A 4 lb chicken takes approximately 1 hour to cook.
- Turn off BBQ and allow chicken to rest. Carefully remove chicken from can, place on a platter, and slice. Serves 4