These frittatas are made in muffin tins so they can be grabbed on the go. These perfect portions are packed with protein from the eggs and healthy vegetables. Pack them in your child’s lunch for a nice change from a sandwich.
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) freshly ground pepper
- 1 sweet red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 4 oz (125 g) chopped smoked turkey, about 1/2 cup (125 mL)
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) 2% milk
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded Swiss cheese
- 3 tbsp (50 mL) minced fresh parsley (optional)
- In large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat, add onion, oregano, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until onion is softened, about 3 minutes. Add red pepper and zucchini; continue cooking until vegetables are softened, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in tomatoes and smoked turkey. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl, whisk flour and baking powder together. In another bowl whisk milk and eggs. Stir dry and wet ingredients together. Fold in vegetable mixture, cheese and parsley, if using. Stirring gently to combine.
- Using a 1/2 cup (125 mL) measure, fill twelve paper muffin cups placed in a muffin tin. Bake in 425F (220F) oven until puffed, firm and golden, about 25 minutes.
- Let cool slightly before removing from tin. (Make-ahead: wrap individually and refrigerate for up to 3 days, re-warm as needed.)
*Kid Friendly Tip:* For picky kids use their favourite treats that are already in the fridge.
*Time Saver Tip:* Freeze individually and warm up as you need. Make sure to double wrap each frittata. Before reheating, thaw in the refrigerator and warm in a 350F (180C) oven for 15 minutes or warm in microwave for approximately 30 seconds.
Bacon, Cheddar and Green Onion Muffin Frittatas: in large skillet, cook 6 slices of bacon, over medium-high heat, until crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove, cool and crumble. Remove all but 1 tbsp (15 mL) of bacon fat. Add 3 green onions, thinly sliced and cook over medium heat, until softened, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in crumbled bacon. Follow now with step 2 of above recipe, substituting shredded Cheddar cheese for Swiss cheese.
Red Onion, Mushroom, Rosemary and Goat Cheese Muffin Frittatas: in large skillet, cook 1/2 cup (125 mL) minced red onion with 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil over medium-high heat until softened, about 3 minutes. Add 2 cups (500 mL) coarsely chopped mushrooms and 1/2 tsp (2 mL) crumbled dried rosemary leaves. Continue cooking, stirring, over medium heat until mushrooms are golden, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat. Follow now with step 2 of above recipe, substituting 1 cup (250 mL) crumbled goat cheese for Swiss cheese.
Sweet Green Pepper, Ham and Cheese: in large skillet, cook 1 sweet green pepper, seeded and diced with 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 4 oz, chopped black forest ham. Follow now with step 2 of above recipe, substituting shredded Cheddar cheese for Swiss cheese
For step-by-step instructions for this recipe and more, visit Egg Farmers of Ontario.