This simple recipe makes a silky, decadent macaroni and cheese for the perfect comfort food.
- 8 oz. elbow macaroni noodles
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 6 drops hickory smoke flavor, such as Liquid Smoke
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard (or 1 tsp if you like more mustard flavor)
- 1/4 tsp salt, or to taste
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 4 oz. Medium or Sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 oz. Monterrey Jack cheese, grated
- Freshly cracked black pepper or cayenne, for garnish (optional)
- Cook pasta according to directions listed on package until cooked through (just past al dente), and drain.
- Meanwhile (in order to make this a 15 minute recipe I made the sauce as the noodles were cooking), in a medium saucepan combine 1% milk, butter, onion powder, garlic powder, liquid smoke, Dijon mustard and salt then scald mixture over medium heat. In a mixing bowl, whisk together egg yolks with 1/2 cup evaporated milk. Add 1/4 cup scalded milk mixture to egg yolk mixture and whisk, then pour and whisk mixture into saucepan.
- Cook mixture over medium low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture coats the back of a wooden spoon, about 3 minutes. Add cheese and drained pasta to sauce mixture and gently toss mixture with a rubber spatula until cheese has melted.
- Serve immediately sprinkled with optional black pepper or cayenne pepper.
Recipe and photo courtesy Cooking Classy.