A traditional Mac and Cheese with the burst of flavours that will leave you wanting more.
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 tsp (10 mL) fennel seeds
- 2 cup (500 mL) broccoli, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) grape seed oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) fresh garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) fresh ginger, chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) tomato paste
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) dried fenugreek leaves
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) brown sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) ground coriander
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) garam masala
- 1 tsp (5 mL) red chili flakes
- 1 tsp (5 mL) mustard seeds
- 1 tsp (5 mL) turmeric
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) 35% whipping cream
- 4 cups (1 L) cooked macaroni
- 10 oz (285 g) Double Cream Camembert, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) Panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat broiler.
- In a medium skillet, heat oil and fennel seeds on medium-high heat for 5 seconds. Add broccoli and quickly saute for 3 to 4 minutes, or until tender-crisp. Spread mixture in 8-cup (2 L) shallow baking dish; set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic and ginger; saute for 4 minutes or until golden. Add tomato paste, fenugreek, brown sugar, cumin seeds, coriander, garam masala, red chili flakes, mustard seeds, turmeric, salt, and pepper; saute for 2 minutes. Stir in whipping cream; reduce heat and cook 2 minutes or until sauce thickens. Turn heat off; stir in macaroni. Spoon macaroni mixture on top of the broccoli. Layer the cheese on top and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Broil for 4 to 5 minutes or until bubbly and golden.
Recipe and photo courtesy The Grate Canadian Cheese Cook-Off