This classic salad is easy to prepare and is a family favourite.
- 2 to 3 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
- Pinch salt
- Pinch pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) paprika
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Canadian Parmesan Cheese, grated*
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp (10 mL) capers
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) lemon juice
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Canadian Parmesan Cheese, grated
- 2 tsp (10 mL) plain yogurt
- 1/2 romaine lettuce, medium
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Cut bread slices into cubes. Combine all other ingredients in a big bowl. Add bread cubes and toss to coat. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until bread is dry. Let cool and set aside.
- Finely mince garlic and capers. In a small bowl, whisk Dijon mustard, salt, pepper, lemon juice, garlic and capers. Gradually whisk in oil in a thin stream until mixture is creamy. Beat in Parmesan and yogurt at the end of the recipe.
- In a big bowl, combine torn romaine lettuce leaves with croutons and dressing and toss to coat. Serve.
For step-by-step instructions for this recipe and more, visit Dairy Farmers of Canada.