The myriad textures and sweet-salty-hot dressing make this salad irresistible.The walnuts, pistachios and pomegranate seeds add a nice crunch, flavor, and dimension.
- 3/4 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup pitted green olives, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup unsalted shelled pistachios, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 small shallots, peeled and finely diced
- 1 red Serrano chile, seeded and finely diced
- 1 tablespoon shredded flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil (optional - use extra virgin olive oil if you don't have walnut)
- splash of pomegranate molasses (optional)
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F. Scatter the walnuts onto a jelly-roll pan and roast for 5-10 minutes, until deep golden brown. Pour the nuts into a tea towel and rub well to remove as much skin as possible. Chop the walnuts coarsely and toss in a sieve to remove any remaining skin or dust.
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and toss gently. Leave to stand for 5 minutes or so before serving to allow flavors to meld. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary - add more lemon, olive oil, pepper, salt (just be careful because the olives are salty), etc.
- Serves 4
Substitutes for pomegranate molasses: Pomegranate molasses is syrupy in texture and both sweet and tart in flavour, so if you really want to add a splash (which is all the recipe calls for) of this ingredient, then you want something like a mixture of honey and lemon or brown sugar and cranberry juice.
For step-by-step instructions for this recipe and more, visit Alexandra's Kitchen.