This colourful main course salad is a sight to behold and is packed with vibrant and fresh flavours to savour. The milk marinade helps the chicken grill to moist perfection.
- 4 small boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 10 cups (2.5 L) torn Romaine lettuce
- 8 small tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 1 avocado, cut into cubes
- 1 cup (250 mL) crumbled Canadian old Cheddar cheese or
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Canadian blue cheese
- 1 cup (250 mL) Milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) drained plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh chives
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp (5 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each, Salt and Pepper
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) red or white wine vinegar
- Dressing: In a bowl, whisk together Milk, yogurt, chives, thyme, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper; gradually whisk in vinegar. In a shallow dish, pour 1/4 cup (50 mL) dressing over chicken; turn to coat. Let stand for 10 min. Set remaining dressing aside.
- Meanwhile, preheat barbecue grill to medium or preheat broiler.
- Place chicken on greased grill and close lid or on a foil-lined baking sheet if broiling (discard any excess marinade). Grill or broil chicken for about 8 min per side or until no longer pink inside. Transfer to a cutting board; let stand for 3 min.
- In a large bowl, toss lettuce with 1/2 cup (125 mL) dressing. Slice chicken into thin strips. Divide lettuce among plates; top with chicken, tomatoes, avocado and cheese. Drizzle with more dressing. (Extra dressing can be covered and refrigerated up to 3 days.)
- Serves 4-6
For step-by-step instructions for this recipe and more, visit Dairy Farmers of Canada.