The combination of honeyed whipped cream, berries and these light and tender biscuits is splendid. Use whichever berries are in season or in your freezer.
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) liquid honey
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) milk
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) cold butter, cut in cubes
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) liquid honey
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (250 mL) real whipping cream
- 3 cups (750 mL) mixed berries (sliced strawberries, raspberries, blueberries)
- Preheat oven to 450F (230C). Heat honey in microwave for about 10 sec or on stovetop until fluid; whisk into milk. Set aside.
- In large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt; with pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until it resembles fine crumbs. With fork, stir in milk mixture just until combined.
- Gather dough with hands and knead gently on lightly floured surface just until dough holds together, about 10 times. Pat out to 3/4 inch (2 cm) thickness. Using 2 1/2-inch (6 cm) or 3-inch (8 cm) cookie cutter, cut into 6 to 8 biscuits, re-rolling scraps. Bake on ungreased baking sheet for 12 to 15 min or until golden. Let cool on rack.
- Heat honey in microwave at Medium-High for about 20 sec or on stovetop until fluid; stir in vanilla.
- Whip whipping cream until soft peaks form; beat in honey mixture. Set aside 1/2 cup (125 mL) each of the cream and berries for garnish.
- Split biscuits crosswise; spoon whipped cream over biscuit bottoms, sprinkle with berries and cover with biscuit tops. Garnish with reserved cream and berries.
For step-by-step instructions for this recipe and more, visit Dairy Farmers of Canada.