These melt in your mouth delicious carmel apples are perfect for Halloween and make wonderful for gifts.
- 10 small Granny Smith apples
- 1 recipe caramel, adapted from here
- 1 (12 oz) bag milk chocolate or white chocolate chips
- Assorted toppings: ie oreos crushed, butterfingers crushed, macadamia nuts chopped, almonds chopped, sprinkles, marshmellows chopped
- 10 craft sticks
- Wash and dry the apples.
- Insert 1 craft stick into each caramel and place the apples on a greased jellyroll pan in the refrigerator.
- Cook caramel according to directions (note: I only heat my caramel to 239 degrees and immediately remove it from heat) then carefully pour caramel into a medium saucepan and let cool exactly 20 minutes.
- Carefully dip apples, swirling each side to coat. Remove excess caramel from bottom by scraping along the edge of the saucepan. Tilt apples upside down and swirl several seconds, allowing caramel more time to set before it all flows to the bottom. Now immediately return dipped apple to greased jellyroll pan and refrigerate. Working quickly, do this same step with each apple.
- Once caramel coated apples are cooled, begin melting chocolate. Do this either over a double boiler or in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval until melted and smooth.
- With a cake frosting tool or with a butter knife, coat apples with chocolate. Sprinkle desired topping over chocolate coated apple before the chocolate cools.
- Return to the refrigerator for chocolate to cool completely. When ready to eat let caramel apples sit at room temperature about 10 minutes.
For step-by-step instructions for this recipe and more, visit CookingClassy.