This is a thick hearty stew that leaves you wondering whether to eat it with a fork or a spoon. Stew meat has the reputation for being tough, but in this sauce it’s slow cooked into submission leaving it tender.
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 lbs lean beef stew meat cut into bite sized pieces
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- 6 boiling onions or regular onions cut into 2 inch chunks
- 6 carrots cut into 1-inch pieces (or baby carrots can be used)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large Ziploc bag combine onion soup mix, salt, paprika, and stew meat. Shake until well coated. Place seasoned meat in a covered baking dish.
- Arrange potatoes, onions, and carrots on top of meat.
- In a small bowl combine cream of celery and ketchup. Pour mixture over meat and vegetables
- Cover and bake for 2 hours @ 325 degrees. Garnish with parsley if desired.
Slow Cooker Instructions: Prepare as directed above but cook in slow cooker on low for 4-6 hours or until potatoes are fork tender.
For step-by-step instructions for this recipe and more, visit The Girl Who Ate Everything.