Avoid the highly processed sugars and preservatives used in store-bought bars by making these bars at home.
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1 cup sliced or slivered raw almonds
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup mixed dried fruit (cranberries, raisins, apricots, dried apple, dates, etc.)
- Place the oats, sunflower seeds, almonds, and wheat germ on a baking pan and toast in 350 F oven for 10-15 minutes. While the grains and seeds are toasting, place the honey, brown sugar, butter, vanilla, and salt into a small sauce pan and heat over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved and mixture is warm, but not boiling. Place the toasted grains in a large bowl and add the heated honey mixture and dried fruit and mix until well coated.
- Reduce oven to 300 F. Line a 9 x 9 inch pan with parchment paper. Pour mixture into pan, pressing down so it is compact and even. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and fragrant. Cool in pan, then lift out, and cut into 16 squares or bars. Will keep for two weeks in a covered container at room temperature. Makes 16 bars.