Restaurant favourite made at home for the fraction of the cost and packed with tons of flavour and goodness.
- 12 oz (375 g) extra lean or lean ground beef
- 1 cup (250 ml) pre-shredded carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (19 oz/540 ml) kidney or black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) prepared tomato salsa
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) each, salt and pepper
- 1 cup (250 ml) shredded Canadian Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese, divided
- 4 oz (125 g) baked corn tortilla chips
- 2 cups (500 ml) bagged torn romaine lettuce
- 1 cup (250 ml) grape tomatoes, halved
- Light sour cream
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground beef, carrots and garlic, cook breaking up beef with a spoon, for about 7 min or until no longer pink; drain off any fat. Stir in beans, salsa, chili powder, oregano, salt and pepper and cook for 1 min or until beans are warmed. Remove from heat and stir in half of the shredded Canadian Monterey Jack cheese.
- Meanwhile, divide baked tortilla chips and romaine lettuce among each serving plate. Top with beef and bean mixture and sprinkle with halved grape tomatoes and remaining cheese. Dollop with sour cream.
- Serves 4
For step-by-step instructions for this recipe and more, visit Dairy Farmers of Canada.