This soup is gently spiced with a sprinkle of curry powder and ginger and has a wonderful elegant creaminess.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ?1 medium onion, finely chopped
- ?1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- ?1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- ?1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- ?zest and juice of 1 lemon, divided
- ?2 cups diced peeled red potatoes
- ?3 cups vegetable broth or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- ?1 cup “lite” coconut milk
- ?2 cups 1/2-inch pieces trimmed asparagus (about 1 bunch)
- ?freshly ground pepper to taste
- ?1/4 cup creme fraiche or reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup finely chopped scallion greens or fresh chives
- Melt butter and oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring often, until golden, about 5 minutes. Stir in curry pwder, ginger, lemon zest and potatoes and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Stir in broth, coconut milk, and asparagus. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, partially cover and continue to cook until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Puree and soup with an immersion blender or a regular blender (in batches) until smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Season with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Whisk creme fraiche (or sour cream), lemon juice, and scallion greens (or chives) in a small bowl and garnish with a swirl of it.
Recipe and photo courtesy Pithy and Cleaver.