This soup is yummy, with a just hint of Indian spicing.
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded an cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- sour cream for garnish (optional)
- Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic and first 4 spices. Saute until onion is soft.
- Add squash, broth, apples and milk. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until squash and apple are tender (about 30 mins).
- With immersion blender, puree soup until smooth. (Alternatively, cool soup and puree in stand blender.)
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer before serving.
- Add a dollop of sour cream to each serving, if desired.