Come the winter months nothing hits the spot more than a steaming bowl of hearty soup.
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Carton (900 mL) chicken broth or 4 cups (1 L) homemade broth
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 3/4 lb (340 g) chicken thighs or skinless boneless chicken breast
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried thyme
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) orzo
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) 10 % cream
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen corn
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) fresh dill, coarsely chopped
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic; cook 5 min just until onion is tender.
- Add broth, lemon juice, chicken and thyme to saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered until chicken is cooked through, 10 to 15 min until no longer pink.
- Remove chicken to a plate. When cool enough to handle shred meat into bite-size pieces.
- Return broth in saucepan to the boil. Add orzo, cook 6 to 8 min until tender.
- Whisk flour into cream. Add chicken, corn and cream to broth. Stirring frequently bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 min.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with fresh dill.
For step-by-step instructions for this recipe and more, visit Dairy Goodness