Hearty classic flavours of a lasagna dish fill this soup to create a delicious comfort food recipe.
- 1 lb (500 g) mild or hot Italian sausages or bulk sausage meat
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) butter
- 1 pkg (8 oz/250 g) button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 zucchini (about 12 oz/375 g total), chopped
- 1 tsp (5 ml) dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) all purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 ml) 10% half-and-half cream
- 2 cups (500 ml) water
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) baby shell pasta
- Salt (optional)
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) shredded Mozzarella or Provolone cheese
- Remove sausage meat from casings and crumble into large deep pot. Place pot over medium-high heat and cook breaking up meat with a spoon for about 5 min or until no longer pink. With a slotted spoon, transfer meat into a bowl; discarding any fat left in the pot.
- Return pot to medium-high heat and add butter, mushrooms, zucchini and Italian seasoning. Cook, stirring for about 8 min or until no liquid remains from mushroom mixture. Return meat with any accumulated juices to pot and add tomatoes.
- Whisk flour into cream and add to pot along with the water and pasta. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally for about 10 min or until pasta is tender but firm. Season to taste with salt (if using).
- Divide cheese among soup bowls and ladle soup over top to melt cheese.
- Serves 6-8
For step-by-step instructions for this recipe and more, visit Dairy Farmers of Canada.