A rich and luscious soup will warm you on a cold winter day. It’s not too spicy for kids either.
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp chili powder or to taste
- 15 almonds
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups cubed, peeled pumpkin or 2 cups canned
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp grated ginger root
- 2 cups vegetable stock or water
- 1 can (14 oz) coconut milk
- 1/4 cup plain yoghurt
- In food processor or clean coffee grinder, process cumin, coriander, turmeric, chili powder and almonds until finely ground.
- In large, heavy saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and ginger root. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in stock, coconut milk and pumpkin. Bring to boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes or until pumpkin is tender, stirring occasionally.
- In food processor or blender, puree half the soup until smooth.
- Return to saucepan. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, swirl a spoonful of yoghurt onto soup in each bowl. Sprinkle with toasted pumpkin seeds.
- Serves 4-6.