Enjoy the goodness of homemade chicken noodle soup, it’s easier than you think and tastes great!
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
- 12 oz (375 g) boneless, skinless chicken thighs or chicken breasts, cut into 3/4 inch (2 cm) pieces
- 1 chopped medium onion
- 1 coarsely grated carrot
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped fresh basil
- 4 cups (1 L) chicken broth
- 2 tbsp (10 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1 cup (250 mL) broken spaghettini
- 2 cups (500 mL) sliced celery
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) Milk
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
- In a large saucepan, heat half of the oil over medium heat; brown chicken in batches, adding more oil as necessary to prevent sticking. Transfer to bowl and set aside. Add remaining oil to pan; sauté onion, carrot, basil and oregano for about 5 min or until onion is softened.
- Add chicken stock and mustard; bring to boil.
- Stir in spaghettini and celery and return to boil, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 10 min or until noodles are almost tender.
- Add chicken along with any accumulated juices; cook for about 10 min longer or until noodles are tender.
- Whisk flour into milk and gradually whisk into soup; simmer, stirring, for about 3 min or until slightly thickened.
- Add salt and pepper.
For step-by-step instructions for this recipe and more, visit Dairy Goodness