A staple in many Canadian homes, this delicious soup is easy to make, fills cold, empty bellies fast, and supplies nourishing goodness.
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1 1/2 cups cubed lean smoked ham, trimmed of fat
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 cups water
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz) sodium reduced chicken broth
- 1 pound split peas
- 1-2 cubes bouillon
- 1 tsp dried marjoram leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute onions, carrots, celery and ham in oil in large saucepan until tender, 8-10 minutes.
- Add water, chicken broth, split peas, bouillon, and marjoram and heat until boiling.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until peas are tender, 1-1 1/2 hours.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Makes 8 servings.