This stew will become a favourite family meal. It is easy to make and tastes absolutely fabulous!
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 2 lbs (900 g) stewing beef cubes
- 1 large leek, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 cups (1 L) different coloured carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces
- 2 cups (500 mL) parsnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch(2.5 cm) pieces
- 2 cups (500 mL) rutabaga, cut into 1-inch(2.5 cm) cubes
- 1 bottle (341 mL) of dark beer
- 2 cups (500 mL) low-sodium beef broth
- 2 cups (500 mL) water
- 4 - 5 sprigs of fresh thyme
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 7 oz (210 g) havarti cheese, finely diced
- 1 1/2 tbsp (22 mL) cornstarch
- In a large saucepan over high heat, melt butter and brown beef cubes. Add vegetables and cook 3–4 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour in beer, broth and water. Bring to a boil. Add sprigs of thyme and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook on medium-low heat for 2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Coat Havarti cheese with cornstarch and add to stew to make it thick and creamy.
- Remove sprigs of thyme, adjust seasoning and serve.
Cheese alternatives: Mild Cheddar, Mozzarella
For step-by-step instructions for this recipe and more, visit Dairy Goodness