Fill the slow-cooker in the morning and let it do its magic during the day while you’re at work.
- 2 pounds lean stew beef, fat trimmed, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1-2 tbsp oil
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) sodium reduced beef broth
- 1 can (15 ounce) sodium reduced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried marjoram leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 4 medium potatoes, unpeeled, cubed
- 4 large carrots, sliced
- 2 cups peeled, cubed rutabaga or turnip
- 2 ribs celery sliced
- 2-3 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a bowl, toss the cubed beef and flour together to coat the meat.
- Heat oil in skillet until hot, but not smoking, and add only enough beef to cover the bottom of the pan. Brown the beef on all sides, remove from pan, set into slow-cooker.
- Repeat as necessary until all beef has been browned.
- Add remaining ingredients except salt and pepper to slow-cooker and turn on high for 3-4 hours, or low for 7-8 hours.
- Stir well, taste, and season with salt and pepper. Makes 8 servings.